08 February, 2008
Agricultural Bank of Greece Governor Dimitris Miliakos, addressing the Economist's conference on Thursday, outlined the presence of Greek banks in the wider region of southeastern Europe.
Miliakos said that so far Greek banks have invested in the region of southeastern Europe amounts that exceed six billion euros, they have branch office and subsidiary assets exceeding 56 billion euros (or 19 percent of the total assets of the banking groups) and they operate about 1,900 branch offices with 32,000 employees (that correspond to a third of the total number of branch offices and staff).
"According to the operational plans of the mother groups, the number of branch offices will exceed 3,000 by the end of 2009, while the revenues of banks from their activities outside Greece, which neared 12 percent of the total in 2006 (compared to 8 percent in 2005) will reach on average levels which will exceed 20 percent," he added.
Source: Athens News Agency