In June 4-7, Europeans vote. In Greece, the European Parliament elections will take place on June 7. In the member-states of the EU, where Greek citizens reside permanently or happen to be during the election period, the election will take place on June 6.
The Greek diplomatic authorities in those member-states must provide information regarding the precise election day, Greek citizens’ voting rights, as well as the electoral procedure to be followed. For the EU Election, the Greek Territory constitutes a united electoral region (22 seats).
The Greek members of the European Parliament are elected under a pure proportional electoral system.Voting results from all over the country are processed and published by the Supreme Election Committee of the Ministry of Interior. This Committee sets the final electoral vote chart and distributes the seats of the European Parliament to all the political groups, after incorporating the vote of Greek citizens residing in other EU member states into the general voting results achieved in the Greek State.
According to the Ministry of Interior, 9,866,913 Greek citizens reside in Greece and have the right to vote on the June 7, while 110,562 young people will vote for the first time. The Greek citizens who reside in other EU member states and have the right to vote on the June 6 total 36,758, according to the number of petitions filed at the Greek Consulates. The number of European citizens who reside in Greece and will vote in June amounts to 6,530.
There are 27 parties and party coalitions participating in these European elections:
1. New Democracy 2. Panhellinic Socialist Movement 3. Greek Communist party
4. Coalition of the Radical left 5. Popular Orthodox Rally 6. Party of the Liberals
7. Fighting Socialist Party of Greece 8. Dimosthenis Vergis- Greek Ecologists
9. Working revolutionary party 10. Liberal alliance 11. Union of Centrists
12. Popular Nationalist Movement-Chrysi Avgi 13. Panhellenic Macedonian Front
14. Society 15. Popular Unions of Bipartisan Social Groups
16. M-L Greek Communist Party 17. European Alliance - Rainbow
18. Party of Greek Hunters 19. Left anticapitalist cooperation
20. Patriotic Humanitarian Movement 21. Youth Party 22. Green Ecologists
23. Action 24. OAKKE - Organisation for the Reconstruction of Communist Party of Greece
25. Greek Ecologists 26. Greek Unit 27. Greek Movement of Direct Democracy
The Secretariat General of Information-Communication has set up a special EU Elections Press Centre at Zappeion Hall, in order to facilitate journalists and media covering the event.