06 December, 2005
Proceedings continued on Monday at the recently commenced appeals trial of nearly a score of "November 17" terrorists and a couple of individuals acquitted during the first instance trial -- a verdict appealed by a prosecutor.
Preliminary matters, including a request by attorneys that transcripts be electronically recorded, along with discussion over a bevy of defense motions, dominated Monday's session at a specially modified courtroom within the women's section of the Korydallos penitentiary.
The president of the five-judge appellate level court told attorneys that, in principle, he would not have an objection to the request, as long as all the parties connected with the proceedings agree on the manner and entity chosen to fulfill the task.
Several defense attorneys, meanwhile, said the association of Athens daily newspapers was willing to offer technical assistance -- similar to the practice used in the first instance trial -- whereas prosecutor Euterpe Koutzamani (not Goutzamani as previously reported) expressed concerns over the procedure by which the court selects a private firm to implement the project.
As far as the motions are concerned, mostly for acquitting a variety of first instance convictions, Koutzamani proposed a rejection for all.
Source: Athens News Agency