14 May, 2007
US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice's Senior Advisor for Women's Empowerment, Ambassador Shirin Tahir-Kheli, was the keynote speaker at an event organised by the Greek Embassy in Washington in cooperation with the Greek-American organisation Hellenic American Women's Council (HAWC) at the embassy's new premises on Friday.
The event was held in the framework of Greek foreign minister Dora Bakoyannis' participation in the steering group of the Women Ministers Group, an initiative launched by Rice in September 2006, for establishing a permanent dialogue among the women ministers and/or heads of state and government, aimed at confronting common challenges faced by women throughout the world.
Greece is co-chair, together with Angola, of the Women's Political Empowerment Working Group.
The HAWC is a Greek-American women's organisation that aims at the professional advancement of Greek-American women to the highest levels of US society.
The Hellenic American Women’s Council (HAWC), founded in 1993, is a nonpartisan, nationwide network whose mission is to identify and harness the tremendous talents of Hellenic American Women. HAWC encourages awareness of public policy issues and promotes women who wish to play leadership roles in their communities, the nation and their professional fields of endeavor.
HAWC sponsors regional conferences, lectures, debates and seminars by prominent scholars, government officials, and experts on various issues of interest to its membership.
It's objectives are:
• To establish an organization of Hellenic American women for the purpose of creating a unified presence in American society
• To educate and inform Hellenic American women on public policy issues as well as other relevant issues
• To provide our members with a forum for discussion and examination of issues that impact their lives
• To interact with similar women’s organizations in the United States, Greece and around the world
• To promote and support Hellenic American women within their professional fields of endeavor
Source: Macedonian Press Agency